Selecting which estate agency to sell your home (your
biggest asset) can be worrying for anyone.
We can explain how your choice can be made much simpler by
following a few straightforward rules.
10 simple rules for choosing an Estate Agency
- The first thing to do when searching for a quality estate agent
is to check that they belong to a professional
body like the NAEA. This is because all our members have
to complete a accredited qualification on estate agency and are
bound by strict rules that offer you a fairness, integrity and high
standards. Selecting an agent who is one of our members will ensure
your peace of mind as they offer expertise and a solid
understanding of the market and we offer you a fair complaints
- A great help when selecting an agent is
reputation. If family, friends, neighbours or
people you know have had a good experience with a particular agent
then this can really be a great help in making a decision.
- Look out for the number of 'for sale'
signs and in
particular 'sold' signs around your
local area. This will tell you which agents are most popular, and
therefore can generate more leads for you.
- Advertisements for properties in the local
newspapers will also tell you which agents stand out from
the rest and also tell you which areas the
- The local press will help to inform you how the
local market is performing. This empowers you when talking
to agents, buyers and interested parties.
- Look for an estate agency who respond to you
quickly (by email and telephone) and also advertise
details of your property on their website within 24 hours. Ask them
for their history in the area, including their
returning clients. This will help prove the quality of their
- A great estate agent will bring a list of potential
buyers with them. They will also have a plan in place in
case they cannot find a buyer for you.
- When you find a good agent, agree the top five
selling points of your property. Also ask them what kind
of contract you sign.
- Ask to see actual sale prices for recent sales
and comparisons of valuations in your area
- Finally, make sure you get on well with your
chosen agent - this will be invaluable during the whole
Remember, choosing a member of the NAEA offers higher standards,
protection and a complaints procedure for you.
You can search for one of our members here on